Posts for tag: Gynecology Ultrasounds
Your friend had a pelvic ultrasound exam recently. Now, it's your turn to have one because of some unexplained bleeding. Is this test difficult? At Ideal Gynecology in Atlanta, Dr. Lillian Schapiro and her team use gynecology ultrasounds to investigate a wide range of conditions, and no, it's difficult at all.
What is an ultrasound examination?
A gynecology ultrasound examination performed at Ideal Gynecology in Atlanta takes under 30 minutes, is very comfortable and yields a wealth of information for Dr. Schapiro. Delivered via handheld transducer into the pelvic region, high-frequency sound waves literally bounce off internal organs, blood vessels, and more, creating both real-time and still images.
The results of these tests allow your physician to evaluate:
- Cysts and tumors (ultrasound-guided biopsies)
- Size and shape of the uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, and ovaries
- A developing fetus (height, length, heart rate, head size, gestational age, and other measures)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy, and other abnormal conditions
- Bladder abnormalities
- Problems with menstruation (increased or absent blood flow or painful periods)
- Possible sources of pelvic discomfort
- Position of an intrauterine device, or IUD
- Infertility issues
- Anatomical abnormalities, such as blocked fallopian tubes
Ultrasounds may be abdominal or trans-vaginal. Both yield valuable and very complete information, says John Hopkins Medicine. The test does require a full bladder to ensure the clearest possible images, and afterwards, patients return to their usual routines right away.
Are there any problems with gynecology ultrasounds?
Gynecological ultrasounds are perfectly safe throughout pregnancy. However, obesity presents many difficulties because excess may block the passage of sound waves through the abdomen, hiding imaging of internal organs and fetuses.
So now you know...
You can relax because you and your gynecology ultrasound exam are in good hands. At Ideal Gynecology, Dr. Lillian Schapiro and her team combine the best of compassionate care with state of the art diagnostics. Please contact our Atlanta, GA, office to schedule your test. To speak with a team member, phone (470) 312-3696.