The Importance of Female Annual Wellness Exams
A female annual wellness exam is a valuable step that women of all ages need to take to protect them from potentially life-threatening diseases. The exam includes breast cancer screening and screening for gynecological diseases such as cervical cancer. Dr. Lillian Schapiro is a gynecologist at Ideal Gynecology in Atlanta, GA. You can schedule an appointment with her for your annual well-woman exam.
Why Well Woman Exams are Important
This exam is important because it gives you an opportunity to have a screening for cancer and to discuss screening for sexually transmitted diseases. You can also discuss planning your pregnancy at your well-woman exam.
How Often Should You Have a Well Woman Exam?
It is recommended that you have your first well-woman appointment during your mid to late teens. After the age of 21, you should have them annually. Atlanta women can schedule their well-woman appointments in advance at Ideal Gynecology, so they never miss their annual check-up.
What You Will Discuss During Your Well Woman Exam
During your exam, your gynecologist may ask you about:
- Menstrual cycles
- Sexual practices
- Alcohol consumption
What Tests and Examination Will be Performed?
Your gynecologist will perform the following:
- A breast exam and mammogram – to check for early signs of abnormalities or breast cancer.
- A pelvic exam – to check for abnormalities within your ovaries and to screen for cervical cancer.
- A bone density scan – this may be an option if you are 55 or over and have a family history of osteoporosis.
- Pap smear – a test for cervical cancer.
- HPV test – depending on your age, you may have a test for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).
If you would like to find out more about female annual wellness exams or schedule an appointment at our Atlanta clinic, call Dr. Schapiro on (470) 312-3696.